Friday, February 17, 2012

I eat what?!


Ok, maybe I'm a little late to the party here, but I just watched Food, Inc, and needless to say I was mortified.  I've heard bits and pieces of information about what this documentary is about, and I thought I had heard it all.  Yeah, meat in hotdogs is yucky, I get it.  Yeah, of course eating organically is a healthier option, duhhhh.  I really thought going into this, everything I saw was either something I had heard about, or something I suspected. But little did I know.  The information, images, and facts I learned from this movie were shocking.  The way we are raised thinking the romanticized idea of the rural corn farmer, or pig farmer, or cow farmer, still exists, when really only a handful, a small handful mind you, of companies control virtually all of the food you seen on the shelves of the supermarket.  Not to MENTION the effect these food companies have on the environment and our health.  The USDA and FDA claim to protect consumers, but just who's best interests are they looking out for really?  And the way vegetables, fruits, and animals are SO often genetically mutated, and they
DO NOT have to tell you.  I mean, how much of what we are eating is real?  Where's the food, bro?

Personally, I love the Capital City Public Market that takes place in downtown boise in the spring, summer, and fall.  I love going, but purchase food there occasionally.  But this movie made me realize just how important it is to support farmers markets and local farms.  Economically, environmentally, and just plain for our own health.  Believe me, I'm not pretending to be a health nut, organic guru.  I mean, you're talkin' to the girl whose high school diet consisted mostly of crunchwrap supremes.  But I'm learning, and if you want to too, here are some websites that I like:

No comments: